Cutting-edge coverage of stem cell biology and applications
Featuring contributions from leading global experts, this authoritative volume addresses all major areas of stem cell biology and their potential therapeutic applications. The first part of the book covers embryonic stem cells and contains details on the emerging field of embryonic stem cell-based drug screening platforms. The second part deals with multipotent adult stem cells from different tissue types, and covers unique concepts such as cancer stem cells and tissue engineering-based approaches for designing microenvironments for tissue regeneration. Eighty pages of inserts with 113 color figures are included in this pioneering work.
- Zebrafish, medaka, chicken embryonic, and mouse embryonic stem cells
- Derivation of human embryonic stem cells (hESCs) from blastocysts
- Treating diabetes with hESCs
- hESCs as a model system to study human genetics
- Application of hESCs in drug discovery
- Adult stem cells for regenerative medicine and cancer therapies
- Mesenchymal stem cells for neurodegenerative disease therapies
- Dental pulp, hematopoietic, and spermatogonial stem cells
- Epigenetic regulators of stem cell pluripotency
- Cancer stem cells
This book describes basic cell engineering methods, emphasizing stem cell applications, and use of the genetically modified stem cells in cell therapy and drug discovery. Together, the chapters introduce and offer insights on new techniques for engineering of stem cells and the delivery of transgenes into stem cells via various viral and non-viral systems. The book offers a guide to the types of manipulations currently available to create genetically engineered stem cells that suit any investigator’s purpose, whether it’s basic science investigation, creation of disease models and screens, or cells for therapeutic applications.