This book covers our current understanding of the role of mesenchymal stem cells (MSCs) and other mesenchymal progenitors in skeletal regeneration, encompassing bone, cartilage and whole joint regeneration. The expansion reflects developments in the field to include data on the use of MSCs in drug development, growth factors, scaffolds and biomechanical manipulations for skeletal trauma and diseases, including osteoporosis and arthritis.
Written for an audience of clinicians and young researchers who are exposed to MSCs in their work, this work summarizes recent findings pertaining to the definition and characterization of MSCs in skeletal tissues and discusses the mechanisms of their actions in regeneration of bone in vivo. The authors describe recent findings pertaining to the efficacy of MSC therapies in animal models and in human clinical trials and bring together literature showing that the ways MSCs are extracted, expanded and implanted can considerably affect bone formation outcomes. Finally, it presents the latest knowledge on the nature of native MSCs in skeletal tissues, which provide a platform for novel in situ tissue regeneration approaches for systemic bone disease such as osteoporosis.
- Focuses specifically on the use of stem cells in skeletal tissue generation for a broad audience of stem cell, cancer, and bone biologists, orthopedists, oncologists, and regenerative medicine specialists
- Provides a short historical ‘detour’ and foundational information on founding concepts, discoveries and personalities in MSC research
- Assists a new generation of scientists and clinicians in digesting the multitude of journal articles on the topic by providing easily-absorbed and condensed foundational context
Click here if you need more detailed info…
A much-needed primer on the use of laser flow cytometry for stem cell analysis
Laser flow cytometry is a powerful tool for rapid analysis of cells for marker expression, cell cycle position, proliferation, and apoptosis. However, no resources specifically address the use of this methodology for the study of stem cells; this is especially important as stem cell analysis involves specialized methods and staining procedures based on specific characteristics such as marker expression, cell size, drug transport, and efflux of the stem cells.
Now, this book reviews these procedures, discusses the science behind them, and provides real-world examples to illustrate the usefulness of the methods. It brings together world-class experts in pathology, biophysics, immunology, and stem cell research, who draw upon their extensive experience with the methods and show examples of good data to help guide researchers in the right direction.
Chapter coverage includes:
- Stem cell analysis and sorting using side population
- Flow cytometry in the study of proliferation and apoptosis
- Stem cell biology and application
- Identification and isolation of very small embryonic-like stem cells from murine and human specimens
- Hematopoietic stem cells—issues in enumeration
- Human embryonic stem cells: long-term culture and cardiovascular differentiation
- Limbal stem cells and corneal regeneration
- Flow cytometric sorting of spermatogonial stem cells
- Breast cancer stem cells
- Stem cell marker expression in cells from body cavity fluids
This book is an essential resource for all graduate students, practitioners in developing countries, libraries and book repositories of universities and research institutions, and individual researchers. It is also of interest to laboratories engaged in stem cell research and use of stem cells for tissue regeneration, and to any organization dealing in stem cell and tissue regeneration research.
Visit the website for more information…
Tissue Engineering and Regeneration in Dentistry: Current Strategies presents a thorough update on the current advances, methods and understanding in tissue engineering in dentistry. It offers invaluable tools, case studies, and methodologies for undertaking research, including important biological and practical considerations to facilitate successful migration of research from the bench to the clinic.
- Offers detailed coverage of the basic underlying principles and scientific evidence, and includes protocols to highlight practical applications
- Written by an internationally renowned team of expert contributors
- A must-have read for researchers and specialist clinicians in tissue engineering, oral biology, dental materials science, periodontology and oral surgery
Click here if you need more detailed info…