This volume aims to outline the current status of the Mesenchymal Stem Cells(MSC) field in regenerative medicine and to propose clear and reproducible protocols to better define the identity, function and use of these cells that are today, more than ever, “under the spotlight”. Mesenchymal Stem Cells: Methods and Protocols, Second Edition is organized into four sections. The first guides the reader through a series of state-of-the-art reviews summarizing the use of MSC for the treatment of various diseases. The other three sections are a collection of methodological chapters covering several aspects: isolation and characterization of MSC; expansion of MSC for clinical use; production and characterization of the MSC secretome. Written in the highly successful Methods in Molecular Biology series format, the method chapters include introductions to their respective topics, complete lists of the necessary materials and reagents, step-by-step, readily reproducible laboratory protocols, and tips on troubleshooting which will help the researcher to avoid known pitfalls.
Authoritative and cutting-edge, Mesenchymal Stem Cells: Methods and Protocols, Second Edition, aims to ensure successful results in the further study of this vital field.
Click here if you need more detailed info…
This book covers our current understanding of the role of mesenchymal stem cells (MSCs) and other mesenchymal progenitors in skeletal regeneration, encompassing bone, cartilage and whole joint regeneration. The expansion reflects developments in the field to include data on the use of MSCs in drug development, growth factors, scaffolds and biomechanical manipulations for skeletal trauma and diseases, including osteoporosis and arthritis.
Written for an audience of clinicians and young researchers who are exposed to MSCs in their work, this work summarizes recent findings pertaining to the definition and characterization of MSCs in skeletal tissues and discusses the mechanisms of their actions in regeneration of bone in vivo. The authors describe recent findings pertaining to the efficacy of MSC therapies in animal models and in human clinical trials and bring together literature showing that the ways MSCs are extracted, expanded and implanted can considerably affect bone formation outcomes. Finally, it presents the latest knowledge on the nature of native MSCs in skeletal tissues, which provide a platform for novel in situ tissue regeneration approaches for systemic bone disease such as osteoporosis.
- Focuses specifically on the use of stem cells in skeletal tissue generation for a broad audience of stem cell, cancer, and bone biologists, orthopedists, oncologists, and regenerative medicine specialists
- Provides a short historical ‘detour’ and foundational information on founding concepts, discoveries and personalities in MSC research
- Assists a new generation of scientists and clinicians in digesting the multitude of journal articles on the topic by providing easily-absorbed and condensed foundational context
Click here if you need more detailed info…
The Biology and Therapeutic Application of Mesenchymal Cells comprehensively describes the cellular and molecular biology of mesenchymal stem cells and mesenchymal stromal cells, describing their therapeutic potential in a wide variety of preclinical models of human diseases and their mechanism of action in these preclinical models. Chapters also discuss the current status of the use of mesenchymal stem and stromal cells in clinical trials in a wide range of human diseases and disorders, for many of which there are limited, or no other, therapeutic avenues.
• Provides coverage on both the biology of mesenchymal stem cells and stromal cells, and their therapeutic applications
• Describes the therapeutic potential of mesenchymal stem and stromal cells in a wide variety of preclinical models of human diseases and their mechanism of action in these preclinical models
• Discusses the current status of mesenchymal stem and stromal cells in clinical trials in a wide range of human diseases and disorders, for many of which there are limited, or no other, therapeutic avenues
• Written and edited by leaders in the field
The Biology and Therapeutic Application of Mesenchymal Cells is an invaluable resource for those studying stem cells, cell biology, genetics, gene or cell therapy, or regenerative medicine.
About the Author
Kerry Atkinson, MBBS MD DTM&H FRCP FRACP, is an Adjunct Professor at the University of Queensland Centre for Clinical Research in Brisbane, Australia, an Adjunct Professor in the Stem Cell Laboratories, Queensland University of Technology at the Translational Research Institute, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia and a Specialist in Internal Medicine at the Salisbury Medical Centre, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia.
Visit the website for more information…