This volume provides insight into the pivotal roles of stem cells, exosomes and other microvesicles in biofunction and molecular mechanisms and their therapeutic potential in translational nanomedicine. It further highlights evidence from recent studies as to how stem cell derived exosomes and microRNAs may restore and maintain tissue homeostasis, enable cells to recover critical cellular functions and begin repair regeneration. These early studies in animal models of aging also show evidence of improved immune, cardiovascular and cognitive functions as well as improved health span and life span. The use of exosomes from body fluids to define specific biomarkers for various tumors may also clear the path to patient-targeted treatments by developing exosome-derived microRNA based cancer therapeutics. It is essential reading for graduate students, research fellow and biomedical researchers in academia or the pharmaceutical or biotech industries.
To date, the ethical discussion on human embryonic stem cell research has focused on the moral status of the embryo. This text explores many other ethical, legal and social issues involved in translating stem cell research into medical applications.
- Used Book in Good Condition
Cytosis is a worker placement game that takes place inside a human cell.
Players take turns placing flasks on available organelles within the cell. Placing a flask on an organelle allows a player to activate that organelle, to either (1) gain macromolecule resources or (2) take actions like using those resources to complete cell component cards, like enzymes, receptors, hormones.
The organelles a player can place on (such as the nucleus or mitochondria) and the macromolecule resources a player can collect (such as proteins, carbohydrates, and lipids) are accurate to the resources within an actual cell! The process players follow to build hormones, hormone receptors, and enzymes mimics actual processes a human cell goes through every day!
Some cell component cards combo with your cards for bonus points, or with others’ cards for even more points. All the while, players compete for limited space on each organelle!
Cytosis is great for your gaming group, game night with family and friends and the science classroom! Cytosis encourages strategic play, thoughtful timing of actions and critical resource management. All the concepts covered in Cytosis are concepts that would be introduced in a basic high school level biology course. And it does so in a way that is fun and intuitive for everyone!
Cytosis was created by a professor of game design who is also a chemical engineer and science teacher!
Genius Games is a STEM-centered publishing company that creates high-quality tabletop games and children’s books. We demystify intimidating concepts in the sciences through the thrill of play. We engage players in a lifelong process of inquiry by rewarding curiosity with fun.
Ages: 10+ Players: 2 – 5 Time: 60 – 90 mins
Science Concepts covered in Cytosis:
cell biology, nucleus, free ribosomes, smooth ER, rough ER, golgi apparatus, plasma membrane, mitochondria, enzymes, hormones, receptors, cell detoxification
- BIOLOGY BOARD GAME – Learn cell biology from a science game! Players build enzymes, hormones, and receptors and play with proteins, carbohydrates, lipids and DNA or mRNA just like in biology class.
- STRATEGIC PLAY – A worker placement board game about the human cell with a level of strategy to engage an adult gamer, yet intuitive enough for kids 10 and up to play at home or in the classroom.
- ACCURATE SCIENCE – All organelles, macromolecules and science vocabulary are concepts covered in high school biology class, making it one of the best educational games to aid science teachers.
- WHO CAN PLAY – Perfect for the gamer, science class or family game night. Teachers, scientists, biologists, and students love playing this geeky science game; and it makes a great birthday surprise!
- LEARN SCIENCE – Designed to teach cell biology and organelles like nucleus, rough ER, golgi, and mitochondria at middle school, high school or college levels. Complies with STEM and NGSS standards.